Saturday, November 19, 2011

How to learn the mathematical aspects of general theory of relativity?

I mean I want to understand the field equations. I have a master in engineering level maths background. What all do I need to learn as a foundation before I attempt to learn differential geometry [the understanding of which, from what I gather is of paramount importance for theory of relativity.]





From where should I start? Should I start with vector calculus, partial differential equations? or what?





Yours answers are highly appreciated.|||If you have a master's in engineering, then you should have taken classes in calculus, analytical geometry (this is where I first learned about Riemannian geometry for example), and diffeq's. I would brush off those old text books, then take a modern physics class at any accredited 4 year university that offers a decent physics program.|||All of that, add hydrodynamics and tensor calculus.|||plus at least BS in physics, better MS





More people talk about G-R than understand it|||You've gotten some pretty good advise here from others. I would just like to add the following:





Jason Gibson


MathtutorDVD.com


http://www.mathtutordvd.com/





Offers an excellent DVD math tutorial program at a really reasonable price per course. His math courses range from grade school level arithmetic through college Calculus-3 and Physics-3. As I understand it, one of his goals is to develop his DVD math program to take in aspects of Einstein's Special and General Relativity, as well as Quantum Mechanics.





Jason is an exceptionally well qualified instructor.





I recommend that you check out what his program has to offer, then contact him and discuss your goals and objectives. I am certain that he can put you on the right track that will get you to where you want to go.|||While it has absolutely nothing to do with what your asking, I've found this site and good way to understand the hard stuff -


http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment