Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Do all waves apply to special relativity?

I know that when light is sent out of a moving object, its speed still remains the same as if it was sent out of a stationary object. Keep in mind that there is red-shift and blue-shift in light waves though. Now, my question is: Do other waves follow the same principle as light waves? If I hit a metal pole with a hammer, would the sound waves traveling through it move faster if the pole was on a moving object versus the pole just sitting still in a stationary position? Or would the speed of sound remain the same, and instead the doppler effect would occur. Also note to yourself that the speed of light changes through mediums (it slows), and the speed of sound can change through mediums as well.





I can't test my question since I'm only 17, but It would be nice for someone to tell me so I can get it off of my mind.


I also wonder, if special relativity doesn't apply to other waves, then how do we know it does to light? Would we notice a change in 30 mph added to lights speed already?|||okkkaayy. Here's a reply.. so stop complaining about not getting replies... hahahaha. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist %26lt;3|||Sound waves or "pressure waves" do get blue or red shifted like light waves (doppler shift), but the actual velocity of the wave won't change. What will change is the wavelength.





Here is a good treatment on the doppler effect.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

No comments:

Post a Comment